A truly energy-efficient home is one that is insulated in all areas, and this includes the rim. If you have a basement, it has a rim, or band, joist—which is the place where the basement ceiling framing and home siding meet above the foundation wall.
Have you been asking yourself, “Should I insulate my rim joist?” The short answer is yes. Without proper insulation, the rim joist can be a significant source of heat loss in your home. Here are the reasons why insulating this area is worthwhile along with the various options available to you.
Benefits of Rim Joist Insulation
If you’re planning to add insulation around your home, make sure the band joist is among the locations you address. There are several benefits of boosting home insulation levels (including the rim joist). It helps:
- Lower energy bills: One of the most important features of an energy-efficient home is proper insulation. By keeping conditioned air inside where you want it, you end up maintaining a comfortable home more easily and at a lower expense.
- Improve comfort: If you have ever sat next to a drafty window, you appreciate how uncomfortable outdoor air infiltration can be. A well-insulated rim joist helps keep the basement at a comfortable, steady temperature on par with the rest of the house.
- Contribute to a healthier environment: Any time you cut back on energy consumption, you certainly save money, but you’re also doing your part for the environment! If a lower carbon footprint is your goal, insulation is a step in the right direction.
Two materials often used for insulating rim joists include:
- Spray foam: Professionals agree that this is one of the best rim joist insulation option. It both seals nail holes and insulates the area effectively. Spray foam requires an experienced installer, but the end results are worth the effort.
- Foam board: Two-inch, foil-faced foam board insulation is another option, and it’s typically used in new construction. Once the board is cut to size and fit in place, spray foam seals gaps around the edges.
Boise Area Rim Joist Insulation Installers
Serving Boise and the surrounding areas, Big City Insulation of Idaho is the right company to insulate your rim joist. We complete new construction and retrofit residential and commercial projects, working with both builders and homeowners.
For your initial consultation and estimate, contact us online or call 208-488-4962.