Faux wood blinds have the beauty of real wood but the low cost and easy maintenance of composite material and vinyl. However, cleaning still requires care, as incorrect techniques can cause damage!
Cleaning faux wood blinds is easy—just follow the tips below to keep them looking like new for years to come.
How to Clean Faux Wood Blinds
Dusting once a week helps keep your faux wood blinds clean and beautiful. Here’s how:
- Dust your blinds with a feather duster, microfiber cloth or the brush attachment on your vacuum. Close the blinds and dust this side. Then, reverse the blinds and dust the other side.
- Run a dryer sheet over each slat to help repel dust.
Sometimes, dust is too caked on to simply whisk it away. In this case, your blinds need a little more scrubbing. Here’s what to do:
- Fill a bucket with warm water and add a teaspoon of mild detergent. Alternatively, you can fill a shallow bowl with white vinegar, an effective natural cleaner. Dip a clean cloth into the soapy water or vinegar and wring most of the water out.
- Close the blinds, and starting in the top left corner, run the wet cloth along one slat at a time. When the cloth gets dirty, rinse it in the bucket and wring it out again. If you come across stubborn stains, pause to scrub them.
- Work your way across and down the blinds until you’ve cleaned every slat. Then, flip the blinds and repeat the process on the other side.
- Dry both sides of the blinds with a clean cloth and run a dryer sheet over each slat to help repel dust.
Deep Clean Faux Wood Blinds
Extremely dirty blinds require deep cleaning. Remember to always stick with mild detergent or white vinegar. Household cleaners and bleach could damage the finish. Here’s how to deep clean faux wood blinds:
- Remove the blinds and lay them on an old sheet.
- Vacuum up loose dust and debris.
- Use the same cleaning technique for removing everyday grime. Because the blinds are laying on the floor, you can really scrub them.
- Dry the blinds thoroughly, re-hang them and run a dryer sheet over each slat to help repel dust.
Faux Wood Blind Installation in the Boise Area
If you’re interested in enjoying the low maintenance and beauty that comes with faux wood blinds, contact Big City Insulation of Idaho to schedule your installation.